Sunday, July 7, 2013

Twenty



Today was my 20th birthday. It is so hard to believe that I have been on this earth for two decades. For me, 20 feels like the year when a person leaves adolescence behind. When you turn 18 you're still technically a teenager. Sure you gain a handful of new privileges (being able to vote, buy lottery tickets, etc.) But once you turn 20, you are no longer a teenager, you have entered into your twenties.


As exciting as this might be, the age is still a bit daunting. 20? Doesn't that seem like a bit of a jump from 19? Yes, it sure does. I just remind myself that I thought the same thing on my last three birthdays and I got over that pretty quick. It will soon come naturally for me to say "Oh I'm 20."


This was my first birthday without my mother. She succumbed to breast cancer last summer so I was expecting this birthday to be a lot harder than it was. I think that being surrounded by my family and friends was a big help. I could never have made it through without them. Here is to another 20 years!

Photo credits to Mikaela Salvesen-Quin.

No comments:

Post a Comment