Monday, October 14, 2013

How to dye with tea

Free People Galloon Lace Halter Bra

So I bought this white halter bra at work about a week ago. It took me a while to decide whether I wanted this particular color or not. I'm not usually one for wearing something purely white at this time of year. I see stark white as something to be worn in the hot months of the summer, and sparingly even then. 

We didn't have the usual off-white or "Tea" color in our store or online. I had heard about dyeing with tea a while ago and decided that this would be the perfect thing to experiment with. 

I had dyed things before, but buying dye can get expensive. Tea comes in such a variety of types and colors. It really makes for the perfect dye.

Step 1) Find an item to dye (preferably something white/light colored)


Step 2) Boil enough water to submerge the item of clothing completely.



Step 3) Once the item comes to a boil add your tea. I wasn't  quite sure what type of tea would be the most potent, so I used the darkest I could find. I just used a cheap black tea that I had lying around. I used three tea bags, but you could probably get away with just two.




Step 4) After the tea finishes steeping, add your item. Stir the item in the tea (with some sort of utensil) until it reaches a color that is slightly darker than is desired.


Step 5) Rinse the item with cold water until the water runs clear.


Step 6) Set it out to air dry. 

I dyed this right before I went to bed the other night so when I woke up it was perfectly dry.



And there you have it! You now have a beautifully, naturally-dyed, vintage-looking piece of clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment